Visitsouthernscotland.co.uk Bramble Cottage, Dalry, Castle Douglas, Scotland, DG7 3UT, GB
info@tourismdoctor.com
Accommodation Type Town/Village Other Search Terms

Castle of St John

Stranraer
Stranraer
Dumfries and Galloway


Call this property direct:
08443220356

(Calls charged at National Rate)


Click for more images
Description
The Castle of St. John is alternatively known as the Chapel or Stranraer Castle and is located in the centre of Stranraer in Dumfries and Galloway. Restored by Wigton District Council and open to the public since 1990, the castle was built in 1510 by Ninian Adair of Kilhurst, one of the most powerful lairds of Wigtonshire. It passed to the Kennedys in 1591, was a Dalrymple of Stair property from 1680 and eventually passed to public ownership in 1815 when it was purchased by the Burgh of Stranraer. Standing four storeys tall it was also used as the town gaol between 1815 and 1907