| || |
Broughton A small village with only 139 houses, Broughton lies twenty four miles south of Edinburgh and five miles east of Biggar. Broughton is the very heart of John Buchan (1875 - 1940) country.There are two separate parts to Broughton. The older part is known as The Village, and is a double line of cottages, mostly in local stone, on either side of the Moffat to Edinburgh road. They were built by James Dickson, laird in the 1750's. In the 1920's however, many of The Village's cottages were remodelled and extended by a local architect named James Grieve. He also reconstructed St Llolan's Cell on a hill above Broughton. Llolan was a pictish hermit who lived here in the 7th Century. Beside the cell are the ruins of a church of which only an end wall and the belfry are still intact.
Below the ruined church, by the turning to Biggar, is Beechgrove. In the 1960's, its owner, Tom Shearer, transformed the surrounding land into beautiful gardens which are open to the public on weekdays in the summer.
The newer part of Broughton lies nearly half a mile south of The Village where the Broughton Burn, which flows through our back garden, joins Biggar Water, which then go on to join the River Tweed. Just beside the main road is the parish church built in 1804. Near by is Gala Lodge, home of John Buchan's sister Anna, also a novelist, who wrote under the name O.Douglas. North of the village an avenue of trees leads from the main road to Broughton Place, which looks like an old Border castle but was designed in 1938 by the architect Sir Basil Spence.
There are art and crafts exhibitions in the house throughout the year. North of the village an avenue of trees leads from the main road to Broughton Place, which looks like an old Border castle but was designed in 1938 by the architect Sir Basil Spence. There are art and crafts exhibitions in the house throughout the year