| || |
Kirkconnel Just north of Sanquhar along the A76 lies Kirkconnel, a small village of just over 2000 inhabitants, is situated 30 miles northwest of Dumfries. Nestling in a valley, Kirkconnel is divided into two by the River Nith and is surrounded on all sides by pleasant moorland countryside and rolling hills, ideal for walking.
Kirkconnel, named after St. Conal who founded the early church at the foot of the Kirkland Hill, had a peaceful and tranquil existence before Fauldhead Colliery was opened in 1897. From that year until its closure in 1968 the pit dominated the life of the Kirkconnel community. The population of Kirkconnel increased rapidly from 110 to over 5000. After the pit closed, numbers gradually decreased as many families moved away in search of other employment.
Visitsouthernscotland.com is committed to giving only the most up to date and relevant information about our region. We are currently looking for tourist and accommodation information about Kirkconnel to be contributed by the community and look forward to displaying it in the near future.