| || |
Eddleston For a small village, Eddleston has quite an interesting history. One Celtic definition of Eddleston is "the site of Mary's lad".
The particular arrangement of flowing water around Eddleston is considered to have spiritual and healing properties. There used to be a Druid altar within the gardens of the old manse, demolished in the 1970s.
From Celtic perspectives, Eddleston has good energy and is a healing place. The old graveyard around Eddleston Church has headstones dating back to the 18th Century, identifying the local farm owners and other tradesmen such as candle makers and shoemakers. Although the Church was extensively rebuilt around 200 years ago, there has been a church in Eddleston since the 12th Century.
The current Eddleston Church has none of the original fabric, but within it there are relics from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries including an 18th century sundial and 17th and 18th century armorial panels and funerary monuments. More information about Eddleston is available from the Peeblesshire Archaeological Society.
The bell, which hangs in the belfry, was cast in 1507. It was thought to have been donated by the Murrays of Blackbarony to celebrate their arrival in Eddleston.